TechRebels got an opportunity to Review Nokia N8 from WomworldNokia some 15 days back fortunately during these 15 days period, Nokia released their all new OS update called Symbian Anna to their devices and we didn’t delay even a day to get the update to the device and we must say the update is very much impressive and gives a total new experience to the Nokia Smartphone users. Upgrading the OS is simple and straight forward, just install the latest Nokia OVI suite from Nokia’s website and connect your device and go to tools – Options in your OVI suite, the application will check for the updates and allow you to update the device. There is OTA update too, I would advice to go for update via PC if you don’t have a 3G connection or a Wi-Fi connectivity from your phone.
Below listed are some of the important features of Nokia N8.
- Stock Nokia N8 comes with Symbian ^3 OS which is upgradable to Latest Symbian Anna OS
- CPU: 680 MHz ARM 11 processor, Broadcom BCM2727 GPU
- Display: 360 x 640 pixels, 3.5 inches with AMOLED capacitive touchscreen compromises Multi-touch input method with a Scratch resistant Gorilla glass display.
- Size: Dimensions - 113.5 x 59.1 x 12.9 mm, 86 cc with 135 g weight.
- Camera: Primary - 12 MP, 4000x3000 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, Xenon flash and with a VGA video call camera as secondary .
- Battery: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh (BL-4D) . Standby - Up to 390 hour (2G) / Up to 400 hour (3G) and Talktime Up to 12 hour (2G) / Up to 6 hour (3G)
- Media Storage/Memory: 16GB mass memory + micro SD card slot, 135MB internal memory, support up to 32GB memory cards. RAM256 ROM512
- Video Playback: Video recording, Performance: encoding 25fps, decoding 30fps, File Formats: H.264, MPEG-4, VC-1, H.263, Real Video 10, ON2 VP6, Flash video
- Music Playback: FM radio, FM transmitter, MP3 player, Supported codecs: MP3,AAC,eAAC, eAAC+,WMA,AMR-WB, DRM support, DRM: OMA DRM 2.0
HDMI adapter CA-157
WLAN IEEE802.11 b/g/n
BT2.1 with support for stereo headsets
Positioning with GPS, A-GPS, WLAN and Cell-ID
Micro-USB 2.0 high speed for file transfers and charging
Nokia AV connector 3.5 mm for audio input/output and TV out
Some of the important features of Symbian Anna as published by Nokia below.
- User interface: Symbian Anna brings a fresh new look and feel to the Nokia N8, Nokia C7, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia E7 with crisp icons and multiple usability enhancements. Typing on the touchscreen is much easier with a split screen, so you can see message threads, webpages, contacts or email view while typing on the virtual QWERTY keypad - now also available in portrait mode.
- Maps and navigation: Symbian Anna enhances Nokia Maps with better search functionality, new public transportation routes and the ability to check-in to favorite geo-social network sites like Facebook, Foursquare and Twitter
- Browsing: A faster, easier-to-use browser, delivering quicker page loads and improved device navigation allowing people to connect more easily to their favorite sites on the go.
- Better for business: Symbian Anna brings true business-grade security with improved data encryption on Nokia Smartphones. Business users with a Nokia N8, Nokia C7, Nokia C6-01 or Nokia E7 can now easily and securely access their company intranet with IPSEC and SSL VPN enablers.
- Near Field Communications (NFC): The Symbian Anna software update also activates the NFC hardware in the Nokia C7, so people can now simply tap their Nokia C7s together to share contacts, photos, videos and play games; easily pair with NFC-enabled accessories from Nokia and others; and read NFC tags to check-in and more
And we must say, Nokia lives upto the expectations on the features which they have published for Symbian Anna OS. Check out some snapshots we took once we updated the OS of N8.
As you can see, the Icons are slick and totally a fresh look and feel. And the best part of this upgrade is the introduction of QWERTY keyboard which eases up the typing while you are sending messages, emails or tweets. Browser is all new and browsing on Nokia N8 with Symbian Anna OS is a very good experience too, its fast and pages loads quickly and keeps you glued to your mobile browser. I being an Android user all these days had always wished when Nokia would come up with improvements in browser and with Symbian Anna whenever I try my hands on my friend’s Nokia phones. Now, I’m very impressed with the browsers of Nokia too. Kudos to Nokia for this release.
It looks like TechRebels got the trial device at the right time, during the same 15 days period on Aug 22nd 2011, Nokia released a beta version of Camera update for Nokia N8 phones and we upgraded immediately. With 12 MP compromising Xenon flash Camera, one can imagine how the clarity of the pictures would be. Below are some sample pictures taken using Nokia N8 after upgrading the Camera. Uploaded the raw pictures unedited.
Below is a sample video taken once we upgraded the camera. Do check out the impressive HD video.